Wednesday 28 March 2012

Anna Karenina



In span of the last two and a half months of commuting to and from school on the bus I have managed to read the great Russian novel, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, in its entirety.

How is that Anna Karenina became my “bus” book?  Well at the beginning of the January I discovered the Kindle App for my iPhone.  I ended up downloading a bunch of the “classics” that Amazon was offering for free and Anna Karenina was one of them.  I had heard of mention of the book but to be honest I didn’t know much about the plot line.

Believe it or not Anna Karenina was the perfect “bus” book.  The story has no real climax or peaks.  This made it great to read on the bus because you could easily start and stop reading without feeling like you were yearning to find out what happens next and without really needing to have what already happened fresh in your mind.  Another thing is that it carries on for 1170 pages in more or less the same tone and pace.  This is why most people find it difficult to finish because they get bored.  So the fact that I would read it half hour snippets twice a day made it manageable.

I don’t really want to do a full summary of the book.  This isn’t a school book report.  Instead I’m just going to make a few comments.

Never have I been glad when one of the main characters in a novel commits suicide.  That is never, until I read this one.  Anna, for whom the book is named, kills herself near the end.  I am slightly ashamed to admit it but I was overwhelmingly relieved when she died.  She was annoying me to no end.  After leaving her husband for her lover Vronsky she totally changed.  She gradually became completely insecure, bitter, and mean.  Her insecurity got to the point where she started to cause fights because she doubted Vronsky’s love for her.  It was ridiculous because it was so obvious that he loved her more than anything.  He gave up everything to be with her.  He even shot himself once when she had broken it off with him earlier in the book because he was so in love that he didn’t want to live without her.

One of the things I liked about this book was that it followed the lives of many characters.  I really enjoy books where the lives of many characters are intertwined and the story is told from various points of view. My favourite couple in this book was Levin and Kitty.  I was rooting for them from the beginning.

I think that is all I have to say about Anna Karenina.  I’m glad I read it.  Now I have to find a new “bus” book.

4 comments:

  1. Johanna, OMG I can't believe you found Anna annoying! (I'm not sure we can be friends anymore). Anna totally changes because she's dealing with post-partum depression, I took her bitterness/meanness to be more of a commentary and insight into the social ostericization of women in society at that time, and the lack of understanding of mental health issues/general support.

    Annoying was when she died and then the book continues into that extremely boring religious gibber gabber.

    I loved Kitty and Levin too <3.

    Have you read any Dostoyevski? My Russian professor had this theory that there are two types of people in life those who like Tolstoy (and drink tea) and those who like Dostoyevski and drink coffee. You're next bus book could be Crime and Punishment...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess for taking the time to write a thoughtful response!

      Ok so maybe annoying wasn't the best choice of words. (Please still be my friend!) I guess I somehow missed the post-partum depression. Her actions make a lot more sense now. I guess what bothered me most about reading through her thought processes is how dark and unfounded them seemed. It brought me down and made me almost depressed. So when she died, as horrible as it was, I was glad that her dark thoughts wouldn't bring me down anymore.

      This last part was bizarre and I agree extremely boring. I found it strange that after her death Tolstoy switched to Sergey Ivanovitch's point of view, a minor character, and its 2 months later and there is no mention of Anna or Vronsky for a few chapters.

      No I haven't read Dostoyevski but Crime and Punishment was one of the free books I downloaded back in January. It might be interesting to find out if I'm a Tolstoy tea drinker or a Dostoyevski coffee drinker. Usually I'm a tea person but lately I've gotten hooked on French Vanilla coffee from Tim Horton's, so who knows!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Opps, I guess I should have put one of those in there. I hope I didn't ruin it for you.

      Delete