Sunday 29 April 2012

Road Trip Day 5: Winnipeg to Regina


For the first time in quite some time I went to church.  Since Cam’s place of residence, our accommodation for the night, doubles as his church it only made sense that we’d go the Sunday morning service.  I enjoyed the experience for the most part.  The music/worship was really well done but as a whole the service felt really long – nearly two hours.

I only ate an apple before the service since I was slow moving this morning and so by the end of the service I was starving.  When I get really hungry I also tend to get a headache.  Let’s just say I wasn’t feeling so awesome, which was ironic since Barb and Sarah were all better.

For lunch we went to eat at a place in Winnipeg called the Forks.  It had a similar feel to Granville Island but instead of being on the oceanfront it was located at the fork between the two rivers that run through the city.






After eating we checked out the rivers.  There we came across some Canadian geese, which Sarah had a fun time imitating.






Before setting out for the day Cam and Barb grabbed some candy from Sugar Mountain.  It wasn’t in its typical bulk candy store form but rather had more prepackaged candy and was located inside an old railway car.



We stopped by the national car rental place at the airport before leaving the city to add Cam as an additional driver on the rental agreement.  I think Barb and Sarah have enjoyed driving thus far but were happy to have another person to share the driving duties.

Not too far outside of the city I began to get bored by the rather flat scenery.  I was ready to write the Prairies off altogether, believing it to be a dull and ugly place.  I posted as much on Facebook too.  But I was wrong.

Shortly after I posted that negative status the weather, which up until then was kind of yucky, cleared up.  The clouds caught hold of my attention and held on to it.  I grabbed my phone to delete my status only to watch my phone lose its 3G network, followed closely by all its bars.  I once again had no service.

With no other distraction I spent the next few hours staring at the clouds.  I took a fair amount of pictures trying to capture their beauty but I feel like I failed.  They are still decent pictures though.











The GPS went a little crazy again!




The drive as a whole today was very chill and relaxed.  I spent most of my time thinking while staring at the clouds and participating in conversations every now and again.  The only one that sticks out right now is an argument between Cam and I about whether or not the p in the Prairies should be capitalized.  After a surprisingly long debate, for such a minor detail, I was deemed the victor.  Thank you Google!

For accommodation tonight we opted to stay at a Best Western again.  There was some talk over what hotel to choose but in the end we went with the Best Western because it had a pool with a slide and a hot tub.  We ended up with a room that had a back door that lead to the pool area.  I thought that was pretty cool.

When we got into the room Sarah and Cam joked around.  The two beds had these long, hard pillows that looked like logs and they put them in the middle of the bed to act as a barrier.  They then pulled out their bibles and pretended that the barrier was room left for the holy spirit.  It was pretty funny.  Much funnier than my retelling of it.  Apparently I am supposed to make sure that it is clear that when it came to sleeping arrangements for the night they did not actually share the bed.  Sarah opted to sleep on the floor and Cam got the bed all to himself.



Following that Cam and Barb ordered some room service and then Cam, Sarah and I went for a swim and a hot tub.  We went down the slide then we did some aqua jogging and swam a few lengths – lengths being not even ten meters from one side of the pool to the next - and then we finished off with a soak in the hot tub.

That was more or less our day.  Not too much to report.  It is strange that 5 days have already gone by and only 2 remain.  Some how it doesn’t feel like 5 days have passed since we left Ottawa.

1 comment:

  1. Darby and I are talking about copying this post-a-day thing during our road trip. Awesome photos, Jo! Miss you.

    Will!!

    ReplyDelete