Monday 30 April 2012

Road Trip Day 6: Regina to Calgary



With the drive from Regina to Calgary being fairly long we decided to get moving at a decent hour this morning in order to arrive in Calgary in time for dinner at my Uncle Jon and Aunt Leanna’s house.  As per usual when my alarm went off I didn’t want to wake up but I had to get out of bed because I had plugged my phone in across the room. 

Sarah was a little more insistent on not getting up than I was so Cam piled pillows on top of her.  Apparently when they were housemates this is something Cam and their other housemates did to Sarah more than a couple times.  I thought it was pretty funny.

Sarah's under there.. somewhere.

As whole I felt like today’s drive was long.  Time seemed to drag by.   Hopefully the same won’t happen again tomorrow since our drive will be 4-5 hours longer.

The most memorable moment in today’s journey was when we met a father and son who picked up a hawk from the highway.  Here is Sarah’s account of the experience:

Today 23 km east of Piapot, Saskatchewan we met the most adorable father - son duo of road kill collectors.

This is how it happened...  We stopped for a quick highway side break. Then I noticed a dead hawk in the middle of the road. I started taking pictures of it. Then a big dirty pickup truck pulled over. Out stepped a man wearing an army print hunting cap and vest, foo man choo and cowboy boots. A boy whose baggy cropped jeans were held up by a shoestring jumped out of the passenger seat to check out the hawk that was now in his dad's arms.

The excited pair noticed I was taking pictures of them and walked the hawk over to our van. They told up that this was the best one they have found in a while. Given that the bird was in perfect condition, except it's feet we're burnt.  They think she was electrocuted.

The father said they we going to rush home and put the bird on ice, then take it over to the taxidermist. There they would pick a pose, likely with the wigs expanded, and have it freeze dried. Then they would mount it in their living room with he rest of their collection.”










Other highlights of today’s journey… We experienced bright sunshine, torrential rain and everything in between, we stopped for some delicious frozen treats from DQ, I tried to sleep in the van for the first time this trip– the results were poor, and we encountered real traffic for the first time while entering Calgary.

We arrived at Uncle Jon and Aunt Leanna around 5:40pm, which was perfect timing since Uncle Jon gets home at 5:30.  They had prepared a lovely turkey dinner for us.  It was really nice to visit with them and catch up. Uncle Jon and Aunt Leanna are my godparents and actually my name was derived from a combination of their names Jo from Jon, anna from Leanna and add an h for good measure - Johanna.  Sadly I don’t get to see them very often and it has been a really long time since I last visited them in Calgary.  Maybe now that I no longer live in Ottawa I might get to see them more often.

After dinner we went for a nice stroll around their quaint neighbourhood.  It was nice to be out in the fresh air after spending almost all day in Stan the van.  When we returned we did the dishes and then Barb, Cam, Sarah and I played a game called Citadels.  I had never played before but I enjoyed it.  It is quite a strategic game but there is some luck involved.  Cam ended up winning.  He beat Sarah by one point.  She wasn’t too happy about that.

Below are some of the random pictures I took throughout the day.  Check them out.



Reflections are fun things to play with!



We only killed a few bugs along the way..

Sarah making a phone call right before the hawk incident

Straddling the border between Saskatchewan and Alberta




This little guy was munching on the grass in Jon and Leanna's front yard

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures. I loved the story. Poor creature! I'll be glad when you are safe at home! Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete