Wednesday 13 February 2013

Ill



I have most unfortunately fallen ill.  I blame a lack of sleep from a busy week, damp and rainy weather, and poor central heating.  The above picture depicts how I plan to rid myself of my chesty cough and congestion.  That and getting lots and lots of sleep.

When purchasing my cold remedies today I was most surprised to be offered wine samplings while I was wandering around the aisles in search of the various items.  For one thing alcohol is not available in grocery stores in Canada and for another liquor stores almost never offer samplings.  It is little things like this that make travelling to new places interesting.

As a result of my cold the first half of this week has definitely been less eventful than the last.  However, Sunday before I got sick I made a Canadian brunch for a dozen of my new friends.  I served them pancakes with maple syrup, eggs, bacon and orange juice.  I believe that all who ate enjoyed my cooking and I enjoyed sharing a small bit of Canada with them.

After brunch a few of us went to a vintage fair in town.  It was sadly lacking.  It was like the church bazaars back home only instead of the old, worn things being like $5 they were like $50.

Sunday evening a large group of exchange students went out for a nice dinner to celebrate Johanna’s birthday.  Johanna is a lovely Swedish girl who pronounces her name Yo-Hanna while I pronounce mine Jo-anna.  By coincidence not only are our names the same but we are both blonde and our birthdays are very near each other.


Charlotte, a wonderful British girl from the area, selected the restaurant where we had dinner.  She drove some of us to the restaurant in her car.  It was really bizarre sitting on the left hand side of the car and not being the driver.  I don’t think I’ll ever get used to driving on the opposite side of the road.  Another thing I learned on the car ride home is that in England the speed limits and speedometers are in miles per hour.  I found this rather shocking as I thought the British were the inventors of the metric system, which Canada and most of the world use.  Why then do they use MPH like the Americans?  I think that's another unanswerable question.

Well that’s all I have to say for now.  I’m going to have a nap now so I can do my best to recover as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment