Wednesday 13 February 2013

RIP Grandad


 It wasn’t until I put up my earlier blog post that the significance of today’s date hit me.  Consequently I am putting up a second post for the day.

On February 13, 2006, my Grandad passed away.  He went for a nap on the couch and never woke up.

If you ask me that is a pretty good way to go.  I’ve always thought that dying in my sleep would be the nicest way to go.

Although it may have been an easy way for him to go it did not make it any easier on his family.  Grandad’s passing was unexpected.

I do not know much of the specifics surrounding that day and the following week.  I was half a world away living in France on a Rotary Youth Exchange.  The day Grandad died I was heading off on a bus tour of Southern France and Spain – a tour that he and my Gran paid for.

I did not learn of his death until I returned from my trip and the funeral had already happened.  So in a way I feel like I’ve never properly said my goodbyes.  I will attempt to do so now.

This might sound cliché but I would not be who I am today if not for my Grandad.

I remember very vividly the day my Grandad told me about Rotary Youth Exchange.  He was driving me home from elementary school.  I was in Grade 7 and since my older siblings had moved on to high school near our house I got the front seat.  We were talking about travelling and how I would love to travel all over.  He told me that if I was serious about travelling I should think about doing a Rotary Youth Exchange.

Being 12 years old I had no idea what Rotary was or even what an exchange was.  My Grandad was an engineer and he did many trips down to Brazil to help teach engineers there some of the techniques he perfected in Canada.  Many of his Brazilian friends were Rotary members and they were the ones that told him about the program.

Rotary Youth Exchange is a program that allows youth aged 15-18 to live abroad for a year.  You stay with host families, go to a local school, and learn the culture and language of the host country.

I was fascinated by the idea.

With his encouragement, as well as others, I pursued the idea.  I was 14 when I applied and was accepted to the program.  By the time I left for France I was 15, the youngest possible age you can be when doing a Rotary Youth Exchange.

Looking back now I feel like my parents must’ve been crazy to let me leave and go live abroad at such a young age.  I’m guessing my Grandad probably put in a good word for me.

I don't know who or where I would be today if my Grandad had never told me about Rotary Youth Exchange.

I owe him a lot.

I miss him more than I care to admit.  I miss driving in his car listening to classical music and eating travel candies.  I miss the advice he used to give me.  I miss the various history lessons he’d teach me.  I miss the wealth of knowledge he possessed.

Sometimes I wonder what he would tell me if I saw him today.  I’d like to think he’d be proud of me and all that I’ve accomplished.

He was a good man and I will be eternally grateful for everything he did for me.

Until we meet again Grandad...

No comments:

Post a Comment