Monday 25 February 2013

Me Day



I figured that the best way to find balance would be to take a day off and sort things out.  So today I had a “me day.”  I got to say I’ve really enjoyed it so far.  I started my morning off by sleeping in, or as my Dutch friend Will would say sleeping “out.”  Then since I was feeling lazy I watched Pitch Perfect – a very funny and enjoyable movie.  After that I convinced myself to go for a run at the nearby gym.  I’m pretty much healthy again so I could no longer use being sick as an excuse.   Next on the agenda was laundry, which I am still in the process of doing.  I have feeling though that before I finish writing this I will have to go collect my laundry from the dryer.

My plans for this evening are to write this blog post, finish putting away my laundry, maybe read a few things for school, and research trip options for my Easter Break.  I’m not sure if I mentioned this before or not but I get 3 weeks off for Easter.  I’m definitely planning to take advantage of that time off school.  My little sister, Amanda will be visiting me for the week before and the first week of my break.  I’m really looking forward to showing Amanda around England and parts of Europe.  I just haven’t decided which parts.  There are so many things that I would love for her to see but two weeks in Europe goes surprisingly fast.  Hopefully I will be able to plan an amazing trip for her.

Poster of the Royal Pavilion I bought for my room!
This past weekend was great.  It was unintentionally centered on the Royal Pavilion – the palace of King George IV.  On Saturday a group of us intended to go the neighbouring city of Eastbourne for a daytrip but the weather was crummy so we opted to stay in Brighton.  Since the weather was so cold instead of wandering around the city we chose to take a tour of the Royal Pavilion, which happened to not be properly heated and felt just about as cold as it was outside.

The Royal Pavilion is a strange palace.  The exterior has Indian influence and evokes images of the Taj Mahal.  The interior has Chinese influences and makes one think they are in China rather than England.  It is beautiful for sure but it seems out of place somehow.

Unfortunately photo taking inside the palace was prohibited so I can’t show you what I saw.  Instead I will tell you how it felt to wander around the palace.  With the cost of entrance we were given an audio guide to listen to.

King George IV was the epitome of a selfish monarch.  He liked parties, being the center of attention and spending excessively to indulge his every desire.  As you walk through the various rooms of the palace you can’t help but marvel at the grandeur and extravagance.

Sometimes I think how different the world would be today if monarchs of the past had spent less time and money building and feathering their castles.  But then I stop myself and think how sad it would be to not have those palaces to visit.  Their beauty wouldn’t exist for future generations to draw inspiration from.  There would be no Versailles and the Hall of Mirrors, no Sans-Souci Palace, no Tsarskoye Selo (Catherine’s Palace near St. Petersburg)… just to name a few that I have been fortunate enough to have visited.  I love visiting palaces!  I can’t tell you why exactly but I do.  I’m glad they exist.

Sunday was the last day that there was an ice rink on the lawns of the Royal Pavilion.  I felt like going skating at the Royal Pavilion was one of those experiences that one needs to have while in Brighton.  I went with a group of friends – Amanda, Charlotte, David, Justine, Melissa and Will.  Justine came along just to watch us skate and hang out afterwards.  We had a lot of fun. See…


Charlotte, Will, Amanda, Melissa, Me, and David!


When I was younger I was in a figure skating club so I was excited to get back on the ice.  The others were a little more apprehensive.  I remember correctly but I think David had skated only once before and the last time Will skated was like 10 years ago.  Charlotte was the most anxious though since the two times she skated previously she ended up with broken bones - a fact that she didn’t mention until we were on the bus heading to the rink.

It didn’t take very long to re-accustom myself to wearing skates and enjoy being on the ice.  I think it took a little longer for the others to feel comfortable.

Charlotte spent the first 20 minutes or so slowly making her way around the rink desperately clinging to the handrail.  We suggested she use a penguin that was designed to help children learn to skate and even managed to steal one.  Unfortunately it was too small for her given she isn’t a child and the rink staff took it away.

I tried to help Charlotte whenever I could but her fear was like a barricade.  I broke it down eventually though.  I was persistent and I think it helped for her to see how steady a skater I am.  With much encouragement I convinced her to hold onto my arms and skate with me.  For the first little while I was more or less pulling her along as I skated backwards near the rail.

She improved slowly but surely as I continued to encourage her and give her advice on how to stay balanced like “bend your knees” and “butt out.”  At one point she realized we were in the middle of the rink and almost freaked out.  When her confidence built she managed to move from holding my elbows to my hands and finally to holding only one hand.  In the end she did 6 full laps of the rink.  I was so proud of her!  I guess third times the charm because she didn’t break any bones!

After skating we went to a cute little shop in the South Lanes called Cloud 9.  They had warm drinks, cakes, cupcakes and gelato.  I chose a delicious gluten free cupcake.  Ever since I arrived in England I told myself I’d try to avoid wheat since I have a sensitivity to it and I’m astounded by just how widely available gluten-free options are here.


We chose to stay in town for the couple hours before dinner since there wasn’t enough time to go back to halls.  Since it was a Sunday most businesses close at 5pm so we had to move to a pub.

I was very pleased to discover the pub we ended up at the Prince George serves Kopparberg – a Swedish brand of cider.  It was so good and every sip reminded me of when I lived in Sweden.

I’m not sure how it started but I ended up quizzing Will and Amanda with how to spell challenging English words.  It is very difficult to think of hard English words off the top of my head so I looked up “hard to spell English words.”  Amanda was surprisingly good and Will was surprisingly bad.  Amanda had the fact she speaks Swedish, Italian, English and some Spanish I believe on her side.  And in Will’s defense most of the words he’d never even heard before and they were words most English speakers would spell incorrectly.

For dinner we went to a Chinese restaurant called Lucky Star.  We were supposed to meet up with Nicole, the Canadian girl who first showed me around Brighton, who was back in town for one last night but her train was delayed.

Dinner was delicious and at the end of the meal we got to see Nicole briefly to say goodbye before heading home for the night.  It was a long but good day.

So that was more or less my weekend.  Hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my adventures in Brighton :)

-->
PS. For those interested I finished my laundry, made myself dinner, and did a number of other things before I managed to finish writing this post.  For some reason I always feel the need to write exactly what I'm doing when I start writing and usually by the time I'm done it no longer applies. Weird, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment