Thursday 23 February 2012

The Hunger Games



The Hungers Games movie comes out in exactly one month!  To say I’m pumped would be an understatement.  I’ve been eagerly and impatiently waiting for it to come out ever since I read the books at the beginning of January.

The Hunger Games is a trilogy that follows Katniss Everdeen who lives in a dystopian future where what remains of the world is a country called Panem, which rose up out of the ashes of what used to be North America, and is made up of twelve districts ruled by the Capitol.

There were thirteen districts until the Capitol obliterated District 13 to stop a wide spread rebellion.  In order to punish the districts for rebelling and prevent it from reoccurring the Capitol forces the twelve districts to compete in the Hunger Games.

Twenty-four teenagers, a male and female tribute from each district, fight each other to the death in arena full of cameras broadcasting the gruesome scenes for all to see.  Only one lives.  The last standing tribute wins.

Totally brutal, eh?

I’m really glad that I’ve never had to personally experience war or rebellion or unbearable hardship.  I feel very lucky to live in a country like Canada.

I don’t want to write any more about the plotline in fear of giving anything away to those of you who may be considering reading the books yourself.  I highly recommend them.  They have the ability to appeal to all ages and genders.  My older brother, Will, read the trilogy and my dad read the first book.  My mom told me that my dad “couldn’t put it down.”  I think that says it all.

Personally, I read the trilogy in four days.  When I read I get very invested in the characters and the world created by the author.  I usually end up with an incredibly strong desire to find out what happens next.  That desire results in me convincing myself to read just two more pages or one more chapter until next thing I know it’s 4:30am and I’ve finished to the book.

I almost never re-read books.  It’s not my style. But I found the trilogy especially captivating.  When I finished them I wasn’t ready to give up the world created by Suzanne Collins so I re-read the first two books.

I guess that’s why I’m so excited for the movie.  It is a chance to relive the experience I had reading the books and also gain a new perspective.

Hopefully this post has convinced some of you to check out the books.  And if reading isn’t your thing then hopefully you are now considering going to see the movie when it comes out March 23rd

For your viewing pleasure I have include the two movie trailers below.  Check them out!





No comments:

Post a Comment